Thursday, December 17, 2009

Baking Galore

Mom and I have been baking up a storm the past few days. Of course, only sweets! ;)
I thought I would share with you some of my favs--all quick and easy! And even a couple gift ideas that are super inexpensive that make into great gifts!

First--My mom's famous sugar cookie recipe!
3 cups of flour
1 cup of shortening-Butter flavored
**Shred with knives (cornbread texture)

Separate bowl
2 eggs
1 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
3 tblsp. milk
1/2 tsp nutmeg
**mix with mixer
Combine with flour and shortening!!
Bake at 375 degrees --lightly brown:)
Decorate as you desire! I used red hots for the stripes on the candy cane!

Christmas Cookies
2 sticks margarine
1/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp vanilla
2 cups flour
2 cups chopped pecans
mix-
shape into small balls-
bake on 350 degrees for 20 minutes
roll in powder sugar while warm!!


Festive Pretzel Sticks
1 bag of pretzel--which ever size your heart desires
White chocolate bark
Sprinkles

Melt white chocolate
Roll pretzel in the chocolate
Sprinkle while wet
Lay on wax paper to dry

Here are two really easy and inexpensive gifts ideas!
I bought the mug at TJ Maxx..add some tulle and ta da!!!
This is a silver platter..wrapped in press and seal!


Now this recipe you have to bake--it is DELISH!
Pumpkin Cake
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
3 tsp. cinnamon
1.5 cup crisco oil
4 eggs
1 can pumkin

In large mixing bowl, combine all cake ingredients. Mix until batter is smooth. Pour into well greased and sugared bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. ***Make sure to PAN the bundt pan and I like to sprinkle sugar around the pan to add a little MORE sugar to the crust!;)


Please comment your favorite Holiday recipes! I love trying new recipes! :)
Have a great day!
Claire

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I need to start my holiday baking. I usually do sugar cookies (which is the same recipe as your mom's -- nutmeg is that key "secret" ingredient) and snickerdoodles.

I also make your mom's Texas sheet cake all the time. Emily chooses that for her birthday cake each year in spite of the fact that she doesn't care for pecans.

My favorite, though, are those silly no-bake cookies. Globs of chocolate, oats, and peanut butter are perfect when I'm needing a fix. :o) If Emily is around, though, not many make it to the completely-cooled stage!

Love y'all!
Kristy

Bonnie F said...

Hey Claire,
I nhave been thinking about having a blog and for some reason or another I ended up on your facebook and saw your blog and started looing at it for ideas! I have never seen anyone make "Christmas Cookies" other than my family before...I thought it was so cool you do too! We call them "Moon Cookies" b/c we make a ball and then squeeze it in our hands and it takes the shape of a moon.
Hope you're doing great, I love your uplifting writing on here!
Bonnie Franz